Sunday 12 May 2013

Paleo

I had a monster of a menstrual cycle this month.  I've noticed over the past 2-3 months, since my husband declared that he wants a divorce (by email... classy!), that my PMS is much worse too.

This new cycle, I finished bleeding a day quicker than usual but the weird thing is that I had a really super heavy bleed during the night, in fact I was up 3 times during the night and felt like total, utter crap the next day and couldn't leave the house.

Well it pushed me to finally do something about it (and I am now in a better financial position too) so I had an appointment at a clinic of a very well known Dr/Naturopath.  I was unable to see her (the waiting list is 2 months!) so I was able to see one of her colleagues the day after I called to make an appointment.

It was a long appointment, about 1.5 hours, but so worth it.  It feels like I finally have people on my side who understand me and are pro-active in their treatment.  Where other Drs will write a script for the Pill and shove you out the door before you can blink, these women are being incredibly thorough.  I have referrals for blood tests and ultrasounds and I have been instructed to cut out all wheat and dairy.  Dairy isn't really a problem for me as I don't eat much of it anyway.  Wheat is my weakness, however.  I love bread and pasta!!

Along with all the other things they have recommended cutting out, I have pretty much deduced that the kind of diet (I hate that word) I am now following is along the lines of Paleo/primal.  I read about Paleo a few months ago on a blog by a woman who has PCOS.  I have been googling images and Youtube videos of people who have been doing Paleo and looking at their before and after pics, I have to admit I am really inspired by what they have achieved!

Something the Dr recommended was that, rather than weighing myself to measure my progress, I should find an old (ie smaller!) item of clothing and try it on once every couple of weeks.  So this morning I pulled on a pair of Australian size 12 jeans that easily fit me 5 years ago... umm... yeah....  they got past my knees and most of the way up my thighs and the waist stopped short of my crotch.  Rather than get upset about it, I had to laugh at myself because I looked so ridiculous!  I have taken a photo for my own reference, don't worry, I won't scar your brain for life with any photos.  But I need proof for myself in a few months time when those babies will just glide right up my legs and button up around my waist with ease and no need to hold my tummy in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst I will read every comment, I will not necessarily publish all of them. In particular I will not publish or respond to any comments or questions written in "txt spk". They are incredibly annoying!