Friday 8 February 2013

Look after yourself

My previous post discussed a kind of stress called Chronic Stress.  This is the stress that is always with us, it can last for days or weeks or months or years.  A loved one who is very ill, not having enough food or money, concern about our job security, worrying about whether we are good enough parents to our kids (or, as in my situation, the fear of possibly never being a parent).

Chronic Stress is the type that will cause weight gain.  By having constantly elevated levels of cortisol, it is sending a message to the body that we are in a type of Famine, and to prevent ourselves from starvation our bodies gain weight.

Anything you can do that is fun or produces a pleasurable response is a perfect remedy because it releases seratonin which is the "feel good" hormone.


These last few weeks have been incredibly stressful for me because of the breakdown of my marriage.  I have some awful moments of despair and darkness, but then I realise that there is still life beyond this and I need to take care of myself and do everything I can to launch myself in a new and exciting direction.

I started a Floristry course at my local college this week and I am already feeling the excitement of what I will achieve by the end of the year.  In class on Thursday everyone was sitting very quietly, totally absorbed in their work (ie. concentrating reeeeaaallly hard hahaha!) and time just melted away...  I realised then that I was "in the zone" or the Alpha brainwave state that anyone can be in when they are doing something relaxing or creative.

What do you do for relaxation or fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whilst I will read every comment, I will not necessarily publish all of them. In particular I will not publish or respond to any comments or questions written in "txt spk". They are incredibly annoying!